On Being the Light of the World
In the Bible, Jesus said to His disciples "you are the light of the world" (Matthew 5: 14). This means all of His disciples and believers - in the past, present and future - are to shine His Light wherever they are. In other words, they are to represent Jesus right here on earth.
How does this work in practice?
Shining Christ's light takes many forms. It could be speaking to someone on the bus, praying for someone, helping someone in need, complimenting someone, making someone smile etc.
Here are two examples I experienced recently.
My flatmate is very good friends with one of the elderly neighbours. She usually pops round to help her with chores. On one of my days off, my flatmate came home early from work and went to visit our neighbour. After a while, she returned and asked if I could assist with an emergency with the neighbour. At first, I was reluctant to go with her as I wasn't properly dressed and had no makeup on, but she managed to persuade me to leave my ego behind.😀 When I arrived at our neighbour's there was blood in the living room. Apparently, the bleeding was from her varicose vein on her ankle. My flatmate had used some towels to stop the bleeding and called the ambulance. My flatmate asked if I could stay with our neighbour and wait for the ambulance to arrive, as she was hungry and needed to eat.
While our neighbour and I were waiting for the ambulance and I was chatting to her, I was also secretly meditating on the power of the name of Jesus and every condition should bow to that name.
Within 15 minutes, the ambulance arrived. My flatmate and I were amazed they had arrived so fast, as she had been told it might take hours. When the paramedic removed the towels, she said she couldn't see where the bleeding was coming from as it had been healed. She put a fresh bandage on her ankle anyway and did what they had to do medically for her. Later when my flatmate and I went home, she acknowledged she had witnessed a miracle. She asked me if I had prayed for our neighbour. I said I had called on Jesus to help.
A few days ago, I noticed my flatmate was limping. She said her foot was hurting. I could see the top of it was swollen. I asked her if she wanted me to lay my hands on it. She said yes. I got her to sit down. After laying my hands on the foot for about a minute. I prayed out loud, "Thank you, God, for healing this foot in Jesus name."
My flatmate said the pain was gone, but it took about a couple of days for the swelling to go down. When she thanked me for healing her, I reminded her that Jesus is the Healer. She then thanked me for being the "willing vessel."
I am the light of the world shining the Light of Christ. ❤️
----
Relevant Bible verses:
"You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." Matthew 5: 14-16
"Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."" John 8:12
"Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God." 2 Corinthians 5: 20
"Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also hash highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Philippians 2: 5-11

Comments
Post a Comment