About Stereotypes

 I'm still enjoying watching people reacting to songs and music videos on YouTube.

One music video that has shocked many is "What You Won't Do For Love" by Bobby Caldwell because it sounds so soulful that people expect the singer to be black until they discover he's white.

Although I've heard that song loads of times, I've never watched the video or even knew what the singer looked like until now. I wasn't shocked or surprised when I saw him, as there are lots of white singers who have a soulful voice.

I believe God has given people their unique voice with a talent to sing all kinds of songs that glorify Him, but humans have created different music genres based on culture and lifestyles that can create stereotypes.

Speaking of stereotypes, one time when I was on a film set and chatting to this white lady, she told me I was very well spoken.  I knew she was implying that I was very well spoken for a black person.  I wasn't offended though.

People have told me I sound really young for a woman my age, which I think is hilarious. How am I supposed to sound like? 😀

All I know is I am a Christian and a child of God, glorifying God with this unique voice that He has given me. ❤️

-----

Relevant Bible verses:

"Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?  For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s." 1 Corinthians 6: 19-20

"Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." 2 Corinthians 5: 16-17

Here's the music video with Bobby Caldwell



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus Heals

Let There Be Light!