Working at Art Venues

When some people hear that I work in museums, galleries and theatres, they think I am "lucky" to be around artefacts; and get to see lots of art exhibitions, great masterpieces and many shows for free. 

I would say yes and no. Let me address the "no" part first. 

As a Christian, my world view is totally different from the world of the contents and artefacts in those places. So I have to protect myself from those ideas.  When I first started working at this particular museum, a colleague and I went into this gallery to see the artefacts, but I wasn't feeling comfortable around them. That night, I had a dream where I was being stabbed in my heart. This happened twice.  After calling on the name of Jesus, it stopped and I woke up. Later, while I was sharing my dream with my colleague, the duty manager overheard our conversation and asked me if I had been around the artefact that had nails. He said people still come to worship it. After that, I never went to that gallery again and I always protected myself with prayer while I was working in that museum.

Last night, I worked at this theatre where this performer was sharing her music which did not gel with my values.  I reminded myself that  Christ lives in me and I have the mind of Christ, which makes me invulnerable to the carnal mind. I found myself  feeling the Joy of the Lord.  At the end of the shift, I asked a permanent staff, who is also Christian, how she copes with contents that oppose her Christian values.  She said she covers herself with the blood of Jesus, which protects her.

Now, the "yes" part.

What I love about working in venues that attract thousands of visitors is it gives me the opportunity to be the "light of the world." Christ in me helps me deal with the challenges of the job so I can stay in my peace, and have fun regardless.  

Sometimes, I meet people at museums and galleries who share personal issues with me and I add their names to my prayer list. Just recently, a colleague I was working with shared some medical issues she was going through. I shared my faith with her and said I'll be praying for her.

When I have down times in theatres and galleries, I use those opportunities to meditate on Bible verses that I have memorised.

So yes, I am blessed to work at venues where I can shine Christ's light to thousands of people. I still have fun anyway whether the contents match my Christian values or not. 

Thank you, God, for giving me these opportunities. ❤️

-----

Relevant Bible verses:

“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.  Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." Matthew 5: 14-16

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." Galatians 2: 20

"Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Philippians 2: 5-11

"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power." Colossians 2: 8-10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus Heals

The Holy Spirit's Language